How it works
With the Review tools in Office Word, networking tools such as email and workspace sites, a document can continue to grow and evolve through multiple revisions as new information is added. The Review tools help you to add comments and keep track of changes.
- Open an Office Word document, and switch to Print Layout or Web Layout view.
- Select the section to which you would like to add a comment.
- On the Review tab, click New Comment. A comment balloon opens to the right of the document.
- Type your comment in the balloon.
- A collaborator can then act on your comment, by rewriting a section. Or he or she can respond by sending the document back with a reply to your comment.
- Open a document.
- On the Review tab, click Track Changes. Make sure Display for Review is set to Final Showing Markup.
- Edit the document. As you add or delete text, your changes are tracked using revision marks.
- After saving the document with the changes, the other collaborators can open the document and add their own edits. Edits from other contributors will appear in different colors, along with the contributors’ names.
- When the document is finished, turn off Track Changes, and then use the Accept and Reject buttons to move through the document and choose whether to make a change permanent or to reject it.
Set up tracking and comments
- Click the arrow on the Track Changes button to change tracking options, such as the colors or user name.
- Click Balloons to change how comment and revision details are displayed.
- Click Review Pane to view comments and revisions in a pane on the left or at the bottom of the document window.